Gaia Canyon [Certified made with EDDIE]

Posted (edited)

Gaia Canyon is a fast-paced flanking map, a re-imagination of one of my old creations from the BHD days. I have been very sparing with decorations and have tried to optimise navigation around the level as much as possible.

For server admins: Be sure to download the latest version. Check the changelog for information. The latest version is GaiaCanyon_20210726.

For level designers: Download the editable .uproject files and assets. Feel free to modify and republish the level to suit your needs.

Download here!

It has been designed for the following game modes:

• TDM
  • CTF
  • TKOTH
  • TC

To do:

Spoiler
  • Minimap
  • Tactical map
  • Playtesting
  • Add extra cover for BigWall in Canyons to avoid invisible impenetrable collision box preventing players from hitting targets.
  • Change collision settings for picket fences to allow bullets to pass through them. Right now, you cannot even shoot through the gaps between the sticks.
  • Depending on player feedback, allow non-Medic classes to make all the jumps on alternate routes.
  • Improve Minimap and Tactical map to help player orientation.
  • Minimap adjustments:
    • Removal of green filter & texture to help with navigation with minimap zoomed in. = RJS design decision. No changes possible.
    • Adjustment of trail colours to improve readability.
  • Fix bug of outposts displayed twice on death screen   RJS fixed this problem on their end!

Changelog:

Spoiler

2021 - 06 - 20

• Initial release

2021 - 06 - 26

• Adjusted position of 4 StaticMeshActors:
    • OutpostDeltaWallCorner02,
    • OutpostDeltaWallCornerClip03,
    • OutpostAlphaWallCorner02,
    • OutpostAlphaWallCornerClip03.
  • Added additional CTF flags to each Outpost. Teams now must capture 3 flags - one at each outpost on opposing team's side and one near opposing team's base.
  • Minimap and Tactical Maps added. These are placeholders. After playtesting, higher quality maps will be added.

2021 - 06 - 29

• Extra cover added to Canyons to prevent invisible barrier for bullets.
  • Picket fences now have complex collision to allow players to shoot between the wooden posts.
  • All jumps on alternative routes are now easier.
  • Minimap and tactical map updated! Hopefully now it will be easier for players to know where to go.
  • Teams now have one extra route from Mid to opponent's side of the map.
  • Added clutter to path between Connectors and Mid for aesthetic reasons.

2021 - 07 - 26

• Improved minimap for easier readibility.

I have added some screenshots below:

spacer.png

^ Gaia Canyon Loading Screen

spacer.png

^ Gaia Canyon Approach to Base

spacer.png

^ Gaia Canyon Outposts Alpha and Delta

spacer.png

^ Gaia Canyon Connector between Outposts and Mid

spacer.png

^ Gaia Canyon Outposts Bravo and Charlie

spacer.png

^ Gaia Canyon Mid

spacer.png

^ Gaia Canyon View of Base CTF

y4mDdB8YPR0HGQBcb1CVjFUXmxJQ3bI550R-Gzij

^ Gaia Canyon View of Base TDM, TKOTH, TC

y4mbxzNqO6t2KTjdbrPWaazYxvwedurvml8KAZZW

^ Gaia Canyon From the outside above Connector

y4mw73dx9CSXSSV390k67638zeu9oZCrjSsi-Kz8

^ Gaia Canyon From a distance

Edited by franekma
Edited changelog; edited to-do; added private download link; added permission to edit and republish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

very nice franekma, great job sculpting that, and some really nice details there

• Thanks 1

What a map! Super creative and absolutely unique

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

i really like the steps in the slopes, is there any issue with players getting stuck on those at all? @franekma

Edited by PANiC
tagged franekma
  • Like 1

Very good question.

These steps have modified collision parameters; there is no collision for players, but there should be for projectiles. This means that players can walk through them and their screen does not jitter or bob up and down, but bullets should still hit them.

I did this by creating a custom asset because Psycho and I weren't sure whether the Eddie-modified parameters of a TFE asset would be overwritten by the core game.

If you'd like help on how to achieve this effect and a few examples elsewhere in Gaia Canyon, I can prepare this for you in a PDF.

• Thanks 1

Great info, thank you.  it seems like it was a lot of effort to figure that out, the result was worth it IMO 👍

• Haha 1

I agree. It took trial and error. Would you like me to make that PDF?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

it would be awesome if you get the time, but there is no pressure, thanks 👍

Edited by PANiC
  • Like 1

I'm playing video games tonight, but I'll be up for doing it tomorrow! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another good idea is like, if you need a constantly moving elevator that appears from some corner or side, you can check how the fairground map is made.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, Anthony EX. Can you elaborate?

Posted (edited)

Making a minimap and a tactical map for Gaia Canyon has been an ordeal. Initially, I simply followed the instructions in the TFE Editor documentation. Sadly, during the playtest (thanks to all who took part, by the way - I appreciate it!) it became clear that Gaia Canyon's complex layout meant that the minimap needed to give players who hadn't played the map before (both veterans and new TFE players) more help to navigate the level.

So, I set to work and created the improved minimap for the [2021 - 06 - 29] version. Take a look at the screenshot below:

spacer.png

Sadly, even though the resolution for this minimap was the medium-detailed version, 2048x2048, it still wasn't terribly clear for the player. For starters, the routes shown by arrows and dots weren't always contrasted enough with the greenish landscape. It also wasn't very helpful in showing the player all the places in Gaia Canyon that they could go.

Then, I made this minimap:

spacer.png

Oh, this one was beautiful. The routes were clearly defined - blue routes had arrows showing the directions blue players needed to take in order to get to the centre of the map; green routes had arrows showing the directions players needed to take in order to get to the outposts. Smaller white arrows were used to show where players needed to jump. Overall, I thought this version was fantastic and looked the most professional.

Sadly, I had two problems. First of all, my graphics card, the GTX 980 (4GB VRAM), ran out of video memory while I was 'capturing' - or generating - the minimap. That's why the landscape lacked detail in 3/4 of the minimap (compare the detail of the landscape of screenshot 1 and 2). Actually, I preferred the way the landscape looked with fewer details, so that problem seemed to solve itself. Sure, the one remaining quarter of the minimap would be detailed and look strange, but I figured I could live with that.

However, the second problem was too big an issue to ignore. For this minimap, I had chosen the maximum suggested resolution from the TFE Editor documentation: 4096x4096. And oh boy do those circles look circular! For all the detail and beauty 4096x4096 afforded, it came at a great cost. The file size for the map grew from 302MB to 792MB!

So, I went back to the drawing board:

spacer.png

This time, I knew adding arrows and dots for routes wouldn't work. I needed to use the minimum resolution to keep the file size as low as possible. I also wanted the minimap to be as clear as possible. Instead of making dots and arrows which wouldn't really resemble dots and arrows in-game, I decided to black out the areas which were not navigable. I also hid the landscape and replaced it with a flat, light grey texture; any area onto which you must jump or can only jump over (i.e. jumping down a small hill) was dark grey. Any elevated areas (inside towers and on the bridges) were white. I also went through the painstaking effort of retexturing every object in the game and replacing it with the dark grey texture, just to add clarity.

So, the final version of the map is 180MB with a very readable minimap. I look forward to hearing feedback 🙂

Edited by franekma
Formatting glitch, clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

awesome work. this is really good info for other map makers, we appreciate the effort👍

• Thanks 1